PUBLICIDAD

domingo, 3 de agosto de 2014

Reflections: Waiting for Cristiano

BY PRISCILLA RICE

It was a Monday. I always try to start off my work week in a positive tone, but I simply wasn't feeling it. I had a migraine and went to work anyway. I had heard that my favorite athlete, one of the best footballers that has ever lived, was going to be in the same city as I. This is the only famous person that makes me feel like a ridiculous school girl (the only other one would probably be author Paulo Coelho). THE Cristiano Ronaldo was going to be in the same city as I, so a migraine and a long work day were not going to keep me from catching a glimpse of this super-human, someone I consider the equivalent of a Greek god straight out of mythology. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see him, I thought, so I took it.

So there I stood last week with hundreds of fans waiting for him. My heart was pounding with excitement at the thought that I'd even be breathing the same air as Cristiano. Crazy, I know. When the bus carrying Cristiano and his Real Madrid teammates arrived at the Ritz Carlton in the Uptown area in Dallas, I too started to scream and jump up and down (still in my work clothes). I only saw him for a few seconds as he walked off the bus and into the hotel. It simply didn't matter that it was only a few seconds. My hero, my superman had arrived. Hala Madrid!

The pictures that I took were awful, so I even begged a Portuguese couple that I met and another young lady to please send me their photos. I'm sure they thought I was crazy, but they were kind enough to send them anyway. Desperation.

Fast forward to two days later. I got to sit in the press box at the Real Madrid vs. Roma game being played at the Cotton Bowl for the Guinness International Champions Cup. There was even excitement in the press box. Some of the journalists could not contain their excitement, even in a setting in which you're supposed to remain objective, but let's face it -- the energy was electric. My heart skipped beats several times just to see my hero Cristiano Ronaldo sitting on the bench. I didn't care that he wasn't going to play. He was here!

The whole experience seemed so surreal. You would think I'd be embarrassed to admit to such childish behavior, but I'm not. This was something that made me happy. It made my heart feel light and it gave me motivation. I admire him not only for his obvious physical beauty but for his discipline, his tenacity, his confidence and for his caring heart. The man is a monster. I mean that in the most positive way. I will never be rich or famous or as strong as Cristiano Ronaldo, but what he has given me is inspiration. His discipline inspires me the most. And I'm not going to lie. The photos from his photoshoot of his new CR7 underwear line are quite inspiring as well. Don't hate me. I'm only human.

I think that we all have someone that motivates us -- famous or not -- that makes us strive for better. Even if that person only makes you smile, that's good enough too. If it made your day better and happier, no harm was done. Shout out to all the grown-up ridiculous teenagers of the world like me.

Priscilla Rice is an actor, poet, mother and aspiring samba dancer. She has appeared in several plays at the Latino Cultural Center and helps coordinate a monthly spoken word event at the Oak Cliff Cultural Center. She studied Broadcast Journalism at The University of Texas at Austin and has worked as a radio news/traffic reporter and assignment editor for various television stations. She currently works as an interpreter/translator. She is originally from Crystal City, TX and resides in Dallas with her son, Leo.