PUBLICIDAD

viernes, 11 de enero de 2013

Renewing my vows with the movement

Gaby Pacheco/Special to HoyDallas.com

I want to renew my vows with the movement- The first time I came out as an undocumented person was when I was just a teenager. I was in high school and I told my peers, teachers, and friends I did not have papers.

My name is Gaby Pacheco and this year marks my 20th year living in the United States. I came to this country with my family with a legal status when I was 8 years old and entered the third grade. When I entered the 6th grade, I lost my legal status. I graduated high school with no hope...I fought hard and was able to obtain a temporary legal status in 2004. During the Trail of Dreams walk in 2010, because I stopped going to school as an international student, I lost my temporary legal status. 

Today, I want to declare that I am an undocumented American living in my home, the United States. I don't say I am undocumented with pride but rather with the conviction that other citizens, leaders of this nation, congress, and the President can see who I am and judge me not by my legal status but by my desire to serve their nation, my nation too. I am asking the leaders of this nation for an opportunity! 

Is time for every undocumented person in this country children, teenagers, young adults, and adults to stand up and no longer be afraid. It is time to connect with your local organization and push...push as hard as you can for a path to citizenship for yourself! You have to prove to others you want this. You have to show this nation your face, who you are!